I have a new appreciation for salads…
I used to not think much of them, figured they were pretty easy to make. All you have to do is throw stuff in a bowl and top with dressing, right? Wrong. To make a good salad takes much more work than that. I’ve tried making my own. I’ve tried replicating a restaurant salad I enjoyed. It’s difficult.
Ever since I started eating healthier and more “whole,” I have been on a mission to create a delicious salad (and I’m still working on those copycat ones too). I made this one last night for lunch today at work, and I couldn’t have been more excited to eat it. It definitely lived up to the hype… I am happy and satisfied.
Note: The pickled red onion and pico de gallo I usually make at the beginning of the week and use with a ton of my meals. So good, healthy and guilt free.
- 2 cups Spinach
- 1/2 cup Arugula
- Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoe (my recipe here)
- Pickled Red Onion
- 4 Limes (Juiced)
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Castaway Kitchen’s Roast Lemon Crispy Beef (so good!)
- 1/4 Avocado (diced)
- Pico de Gallo
- 6 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 Limes
- 1 Bundle of Cilantro
- 1 Tbsp of Salt
- 1 Jalapeno (Optional)
- Lemon Vinaigrette (I used My Whole Food Life’s Recipe)
- An avocado cilantro dressing would work wonders too…
[Pico de Gallo]
- Dice the tomatoes into small cubes.
- Dice the red onions into very small, thin cubes.
- Dice the jalapeno into very small, thin cubes.
- Pluck cilantro leaves and finely mince.
- Add all the chopped ingredients into a bowl and mix.
- Squeeze 2 limes into the bowl and add your salt.
- Mix everything together well and refrigerate. The longer it sits the better it tastes!
[Pickled Red Onion]
- Peel and finely slice the red onion into very thin strips.
- Place strips into a tupperware or mason jar and add vinegar and lime juice into the jar until onions are completely submerged. Add salt and pepper, close, and shake a little to mix.
- Let sit in the fridge for at least an hour before eating.
- Now, put it all in a bowl and toss.